Indiana Tech was founded as a small engineering college for men in 1930. It has transformed over the years into a comprehensive university with a wide range of academic programs for men and women of all ages. The original building in Fort Wayne was outgrown long ago, and classes are now offered at campuses throughout Indiana and Kentucky with additional worldwide attendance through online programs. What follows are highlights and milestones for each decade.
- 1930: Indiana Technical College founded by John A. Kalbfleisch.
- 1931: First classes held in former mortuary on East Washington Boulevard. Bachelor’s degree in electrical, structural, civil or radio engineering could be completed in 24 months.
- 1933: First graduating class consisted of 13 electrical engineers.
- 1936: Archie T. Keene appointed president after death of Kalbfleisch.
- 1937: First formal commencement ceremony held.
- 1939: Indiana Tech library started with $200 budget for books.
- 1945: G.I. Bill® boosted post-war enrollment, leading to priority list: former students returning from service were given first priority, followed by other ex-servicemen. Other prospective students were put on a waiting list.
- 1948: College reorganized under state law as non-for-profit endowed college, with $100,000 endowment from former board.
- 1948: First alumni board was established with J. Forrest Bigelow as chair.
- 1953: Indiana Tech offered Missouri Synod Lutherans $1 million for 20 acres of the Concordia College campus.
- 1955: First classes held on current campus at Washington and Anthony boulevards due to overflowing enrollments at the original site.
- 1957: Indiana Tech officially moved to the current campus.
- 1957: The college’s first construction project, a science building, began thanks to a donation from C.A. Dana. The Dana Building is still in use, but was renamed the Zollner Engineering Center after being renovated and doubled in size in 2000.
- 1958: First female graduate, Anna Reid, earned chemistry degree.
- 1960: College shifted from accelerated two-year bachelor’s degrees to four-year program.
- 1960: Indiana Tech obtained the first computer in Fort Wayne, an IBM 1620.
- 1962: North Central Association of Colleges and Schools granted accreditation.
- 1962: Original McMillen Library was dedicated with significant funding from Dale McMillen. The building no longer exists, but the library still gets support from the McMillen Foundation.
- 1963: Indiana Technical College officially changed name to Indiana Institute of Technology.
- 1963: Edward Thoma became president after Keene retired.
- 1963: Two campus buildings were purchased—the Concordia High School building, which is now the Cunningham Business Center, and a Kroger supermarket, which is now Warrior Fieldhouse.
- 1963: Kalbfleisch Hall built with funds donated by Mr. and Mrs. Carl Pierson.
- 1967: Edward Dugan appointed president after resignation of Thoma.
- 1969: Indiana Tech introduced the area’s first computer science degree.
- 1972: Charles Terrell became president after the resignation of Dugan.
- 1977: Thomas Scully became president.
- 1977: Business and accounting degree programs began.
- 1982: The Extended Studies Division, which is now the College of Professional Studies (CPS), began offering correspondence courses for adults.
- 1985: Donald Andorfer appointed president after death of Scully.
- 1987: Indiana Tech began innovative accelerated 6-week classes in the College of Professional Studies.
- 1988: Indiana Tech extended beyond Fort Wayne with CPS classes in Indianapolis.
- 1990: Schaefer Center, with gym and dining hall, dedicated in honor of Edward J. Schaefer.
- 1995: A third Indiana Tech campus was established in South Bend.
- 1999: Mechanical and electrical engineering programs earned ABET accreditation.
- 1999: MBA program began in Fort Wayne and Indianapolis.
- 1999: CPS opened location in Warsaw.
- What else happened in the world during the 1990s?
- 2001: Pierson Center and Abbott Center built.
- 2001: First Indiana Tech location in Huntington opened. It moved to current facility in 2007.
- 2002: Engineering building renovated, doubled in size, and rededicated as Zollner Engineering Center.
- 2003: Arthur E. Snyder, current president, appointed after retirement of Andorfer.
- 2003: Elkhart campus opened.
- 2004: Andorfer Commons opened with dining hall, McMillen Library, movie theater, bowling alley, recreation center, chapel, gift shop, and conference rooms.
- 2004: Wellness Center opened in Schaefer Center space formerly used as cafeteria.
- 2004: Yergens-Rogers Hall built to offer apartment-style campus housing for growing traditional undergraduate enrollment.
- 2008: Kendallville location opened and South Bend campus moved to Mishawaka.
- 2008: Evans-Kimmell Hall opened.
- 2009: Frank & Anne Oropeza Hall opened.
- 2009: Fishers campus opened.
- 2009: Indiana Tech launched northeast Indiana’s first doctoral program, the Ph.D. in Global Leadership.
- 2010: Warrior Row A opened with campus’s first town-house style housing.
- 2010: Warrior Athletic Center built to provide additional space for growing athletic programs.
- 2010: Administration building, originally built in 1857 and named the Seitz Center in 1994, reopened as Wilfred Uytengsu Sr. Center after yearlong energy-efficient renovation. The renovation earned LEED Gold designation.
- 2011: CPS established first campus outside of Indiana, in Louisville, Ky.
- 2011: Warrior Row B built.
- 2012: Warrior Row C opened to provide additional suite-style housing for freshmen.
- 2012: Additional CPS campuses opened in Evansville, Jeffersonville, and Northern Kentucky.
- 2013: Indiana Tech Law School opened.
- 2014: Academic Center opened.
- 2015: Cunningham Reinvention is complete
- 2015: Chicago locations opened at Naperville and Wilmette
- 2016: Detroit location Opened
- 2017: Dr. Karl W. Einolf becomes ninth president after retirement of Dr. Arthur E. Snyder
- 2018: Abbott Renovation
- 2018: Dedication of Keene Building
- 2018: Construction begins on Warrior Park